Monday 5 January 2009

I Want Candy....

I have an insatiable appetite for sweets. I love pastries, cakes, tortes, tarts, everything that is decorated, light, flaky and colourful. I was in bliss when I first watched Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette with all the decadent pasteries.

movie still from Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette:


One day, when I was channeling the Princess of Darkness (the explanation will be saved for a future post), my beloved asked me what he could do to banish my wicked mood.

“I want a cupcake.”

“What flavor?” he asked, puzzled by my request.

“I don’t care as long as it is pretty. I don’t want to eat it; I want to look at it.”

Yes, I really said that.

Within the hour, he returned with a bag from a bakery in hand. Inside was a chocolate mousse cupcake decorated with a tower of dark chocolate shavings and a chocolate lattice.

I contemplated its craftsmanship and then I devoured it. It was delish. Yes, life’s moment of decadence should be celebrated.

If and when I ever make it to Paris, my first stop will be the Ladurée patisserie. Their colourful macaroons are legendary.

Ladurée's macaroons


No comments:

Post a Comment