Friday 31 December 2010

You want how much for that??

I’ve been thinking about corseting again. I did it a few years ago; wearing my corset for 4 hours a day, 3 to 4 days a week and training my waist. That’s put me back in the mood for shopping for corsets. I have the usual places that I got to get mine custom made. But there is not place in Dallas to find these delicate objects.

I walked into Gregory’s at Northpark after seeing a couple of their corsets displayed.

I fondled the white brocade corset with lace trimming and an oddly placed chain. The boning was plastic and flimsy. There was nothing exciting about it. I could have every easily replicated this myself.



The Cadolle corset I was fondling at Gregory's. (Who ever put the image of this corset on the Gregory's website obviously put it up-sidedown.)

“These are made by Cadolle, the first French company that made bras,” exclaimed the salesgirl excitedly.

I glanced at the price tag. If I were sitting down, I would have fallen out of my chair. I had to do a double take…

$1,145.000? For that?! I chuckled.

For the price of that corset, I could have an entire burlesque costume made for me. Complete with rhinestones. Or two pairs of Louboutins. Or a pair of the largest ostrich feather fans. Or have my corset-makers custom make 4 steel-boned corsets, exact to my measurements.

Don’t get me wrong, Cadolle makes exquisite lingerie. But after a little digging around on the internet for similar corsets from the brand, I don’t see where it justifies the high price tag from Gregory’s. My conclusion is highway robbery.

Ah, but Gregory’s is not selling to someone like me. They are selling it to someone that without a second thought or question, drop the credit card for it and a few other things in the store. Ignorance is bliss.

I’ll stick to my custom corsets.




No comments:

Post a Comment